Tuesday, June 16, 2009

David Metzbower To Leave Princeton Men's Lacrosse Program

Courtesy: Princeton Athletic Communications

David Metzbower has turned down an offer to become the head men’s lacrosse coach at Princeton and will be leaving the University.


Metzbower has been the top assistant at Princeton for the last 20 years under Bill Tierney and has spent the last seven with the title of Associate Head Coach. Tierney left Princeton earlier this month to become the head coach at Denver.

“The reason I’m leaving is because of the fact that I’m always on the road and have very little time to spend with my family,” Metzbower says. “I feel like I’m at an important juncture of my life. When Bill decided to leave, it shocked me so much, it made me take stock in my life and take a look at what I was or wasn’t able to do for my family. I don’t know my kids’ teachers. I don’t know what they do. I’ve been to about three of their sporting events. I hear other people talk about time they spend with their family, and I get jealous. I feel like I was putting Princeton lacrosse in front of my family.”

Metzbower helped Princeton to a 230-63 record, as well as six NCAA championships and 14 Ivy League championships.

“I want to thank all of the alumni and past and present players,” Metzbower says. “That’s been the hardest part for me, to walk away from Princeton after all the great support I’ve gotten the last few days.”

Princeton was 13-3 and reached the NCAA quarterfinals this past year. The Tigers return six starters, including three All-Americas, though eight seniors who all contributed in huge roles have graduated.

The search for Tierney’s successor will resume immediately.

“Sometimes when you are faced with a tough decision, it focuses your mind,” says Princeton Director of Athletics Gary Walters. “Metz was given the opportunity to succeed Bill and made the decision not to do so for personal and family reasons, and we respect him for that. We’re dedicated to finding the coach who will continue the tradition of Princeton lacrosse that Bill Tierney and David Metzbower did such a great job of sustaining.”

No comments: